Thursday, June 19, 2008

Another Whirl Wind Weekend!

Eagle Fun Days Rodeo 2008
Featuring Riggin & Wylie In The Mutton Bustin'
Written by Stone



2 Mean Looking Cowboys

So we entered the boys in the Mutton Busting event at the Eagle Fun Days Rodeo last Saturday. This same rodeo serves as my rodeo career ender as this is where I broke my arm riding bulls 6 years ago. As soon as we entered them I pulled up some Mutton Busting clips on You Tube to show them what they would be doing. Wylie loved the clips and wanted to ride a sheep right then. Riggin, however looked a little more concerned. Later that day we were in the car and Riggin, out of nowhere said, "Dad, I am a little nervous about this sheep thing." I laughed a little on the inside and reassured him he would have fun and that I would get him a Hockey Helmet to protect him and that everyone would be there to cheer him on and that he would have the opportunity to win a belt buckle and that after he rode he could stand in the arena an wave to everyone as they clapped for him. He was re-convicted.
So we began preparing them for the big event for the next couple of weeks by having them climb on our backs and we would buck around the living room. Our technique was simple; lay down belly to back and put our ear next to the sheep's ear and squeeze as hard as we could with our arms and legs. As the rodeo drew nearer Riggin's confidence grew as Wylie's weakened.
When we got to the rodeo I can't tell you how fun it was to bring the boys into a world Ashlee and I both loved so much. Little did the boys know what awaited them...Riggin is first and then it's Wylie. Watch and learn.




So here is the deal. Aside from the fact that both of my boys' sheep came rippin' out of the box was a little unfair considering that the boy who won the buckle's sheep just walked out and meandered around until they pulled him off. Oh well, that's rodeo, but the fact that both of my boys slid down on the back of a sheep and called for the gate is pretty dang cool. Proud Dad moment for sure, but as I am standing in the arena with two tear stained boys both with dirt on their backs and faces I couldn't help thinking "What have I done to my sons?"
After we brushed off the dirt and calmed down the tears, we asked Riggin what happened? He said "the sheep stepped on my junk." That would make me cry too. Then he said, "where's my icecream cone?"(His mom's bribing tool for the boys to do good.) Then they marched all the Mutton Busters back into the arena, gave them t-shirts, and the crowd gave them another round of applause.
We watched the rest of the rodeo with all the family(thanks to everyone who supported us) and I showed Riggin where I got his name from (Bareback Rider's handle) and he seemed to think that was pretty cool. All's well that ends well.
And now that it is over Wylie is asking when he can ride sheep again telling me he will hold on "TIGHT" and Riggin is committed to winning the buckle next year. Another proud Dad moment.





Happy Father's Day
Written by Ashlee

So besides the Rodeo... This weekend we had awesome company in town, our neighborhood garage sale (where the boys tried to earn money for a WII), a BBQ, the Eagle Fun Days Wet n' Wild Parade, The Walker Father's Day Picnic and FATHERS DAY!!!
Happy Father's Day.... The weekend was so jammed packed full of fun that I felt like Mike was a little neglected. But I do love him so much and am so thankful he is such a GREAT daddy. You can see it in his posts. He loves being a Dad and there's nothing greater than to see him enjoying that role.

10 comments:

Becca said...

oh I love this... And still can't get over how each boy looks identical to either of you!!!! Wylie is so you Stone!!!And Rig...Ash all the way!!! too cute!

Love the post!

Melissa said...

What cute boys!! That would have been so much fun to watch, they are growing up way too fast! I loved all of your pictures, it looks like you guys had a great weekend! I miss you tons, lets get together and go do something soon!!

lynnett said...

Great Stories...glad I was there to share in the fun! We watched the boys and then asked Izzi if she wanted to ride the sheep...no..she said..I will hurt my knee!! She was gun-ho until she saw Cowboy Riggin and Cowboy Wylie hit the ground!!! Just one thing...What is a wingnut? and How is the PR work going? Lots of Laughs!!!

Bug said...

OK....you made Mama Bug cry. Looking at those pictures while the cowboy song played, was a little too much for me. Dang I love those boys! I was probably the only nervous one in the crowd!

Brian or Julie said...

That is so cool! We love muttin bustin. We have tried to get Colby to ride in the Hailey Rodeo but he doesn't like the idea of falling off.

Tara said...

Mike, that was awesome! Riggin's comment was gut busting. We miss hanging out with you guys, and hope to see you this summer. Colby said he misses Riggin.
-Kenny

The Dudley Bunch said...

Another great post by the Stone Crew...that was great fun watching the boys this weekend. I still would have liked to see you get on a bull though Stone!

Its All Good Ya'll said...

Hey Cuz!

I love the pics. Your boys are studs and I think it is great that give them so many opportunities to try new things! We are coming home to visit in August. I can't wait to see everyone again!

Sam and Ash said...

Wow! Wylie looks like he LOVED that! :> Your boys are the cutest things ever.:> Very nice Willie music, I am a big fan. I also love the pic of Mike with the two boys looking down, great pic. You guys are always doing something fun, I so wish there was more to do in Poky. Looks like your summer is off to a good start. Take Care, Sam and Ash.

Tara said...

I love that video, tell mike I know we are still on for the 24th, I hope everyone else is too. so I taged you on a little questionaire on my blog, you will have to do it when you have time. Give the kids lots of love from colby, owen and ellie